How To Make A Tasty Pizza Using Wholemeal Bread Mix?
Some of the best tasting things in the world are the simple things. I know in my travels around Europe and Canada, that the humble pizza is a popular choice for old and young alike. Personally I think many of the pizza chains, just make them far too complex.
A simple pizza, with the right ingredients, can taste fantastic, and have you coming back for more.
How Many Will This Pizza Serve?
It will serve between 1-2 people, or just you if you prefer. It is also ideal for 2-3 kids.
- 70 grams of sun dried tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons of passata
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin oil
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 375 grams of wholemeal bread mix
- 125 grams of buffalo mozzarella
- Ground Sea salt
- Ground black pepper corns
Baking Instructions for the Wholemeal Pizza
- Put the sun dried tomatoes into hot water, and let them soak for around 30 minutes.
- Get a large baking sheet, and brush it with some good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Put the wholemeal flour into a bowl, and add one teaspoon of oregano.
- Now add some warm water, following the instructions on the pack of the wholemeal flour that you have picked
- Allow it to rest for between 5-7 minutes.
- Knead by hand for about 15 minutes as I enjoy this part. If you are not a fan of manual kneading, then just use a food processor, and it will be good to go in about 5 minutes
- Dust a worktop lightly with flour and roll out the dough that you have made. Try to aim for a 13″ circle as for me that makes the ideal thickness for your pizza base.
- If you cover it with some oiled cling film, and leave it in your kitchen, it should roughly double in size.
- Now cover the dough with the pasatta sauce, making sure the entire base is covered.
- Chop the sun dried tomatoes and add to the pizza, and then tear the mozzarella and sprinkle that over the top as well.
- Add a teaspoon of oregano to the remaining oil, and lightly drizzle over the pizza top
- Add the salt and pepper to your own taste
- Now preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7 (220 degrees Celsius or 425 Degrees F)
- Once hot enough, then bake in the oven for between 15-20 minutes, until golden brown
Congratulations, you will have a tasty plain and simple pizza, that will be enjoyed by all. Now if you are lucky wnough to own a pizza oven, then of course make your pizza in that.
Alternatives to Pizza Creation
The beauty of a pizza is that you can add whatever topping you like. I like a mix of red and yellow peppers added to the top. I also like any of the Italian style sausages added in there. You really are only limited by your imagination.
Getting a Thinner Base
I am a fan of the thinner, rather than the thicker base. With the mix above, you can divide it in two, and have a really thin base. I was in Chicago recently, and of course had to try the deep pie, which was truly delicious.
However for me nothing beats the pizza that you get in Naples or Roam. That is always served as a thin base. At the end of the day, it is really up to you. Try both is my advice, and see which one you prefer.