Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales UK Review
Thanks for taking the time to read our review on the Salter digital kitchen weighing scales. By quite a long way, these are the biggest selling scales in the UK at the moment, so a popular choice for many people.
These scales have high precision sensors and an LCD display that's clear and easy to read. These scales cam measure the following:
- Up to 5 kg in 1 gram increments
- 11 lbs in 1/10 ounce increments
- 5 Litres in 1 ml increments
- 175 fl oz in 1/10 fl oz increments
It is very simple to change between these different measurements.
These are the scales that are used on the popular UK TV show, "The Great British Bake Off." That most likely explains the huge popularity, and why many people choose to buy this model.
The Salter Brand
Salter are the UK’s No.1 Brand for domestic weighing scales. They are known as Salter Housewares and they were founded back in 1760 in Bilston, England.
They offer a wide range of products within the kitchen and bathroom industry, Salter prize themselves on bringing innovative and exciting ideas to market.
Formed by Richard Salter and then taken over by his nephew George and the name changed to George Salter & Co. They moved their site to West Bromwich.
From there they made the UK'S first bathroom scale. Other items were added to the range, including irons, mincers, potato chippers, coin-operated machines and another 'first' for the UK, the typewriter.
In 1972 the company was purchased by Staveley Industries Plc and was split into separate subsidiaries, housewares, industrial etc. relocating as required.
The management team at Salter Housewares Ltd, backed by Barclays Private Equity, bought the company out from the group, to concentrate on its consumer businesses.
In 2006, Salter Housewares USA and Taylor Precision Products Inc (also owned by HoMedics) merged together to combine sales, marketing, and distribution efficiencies to be more reactive to the changing retailer environment.
Who Would Buy the Salter Scales?
The simple answer to this is anyone who needs to weigh ingredients in the kitchen. However it is slightly more complex than that, and in fact, these scales are best suited for those of us who like to bake.
The beauty of these scales is of course their accuracy. At the end of the day, irrespective of the appearance of scales, the only real important thing is how accurate they are. This is extremely important when it comes to baking.
How Buyers Rate the Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales
- Online buyers have given these scales an average buyer satisfaction rating of 92%
- 77% of all buyers gave this one a full 5 star rating
- 5% of all buyers gave these scales a bad rating
What Buyers Say About the Salter Digital Scales
In this section we have a look at what the buyers have to say about these scales. We know that they rate these highly, but in this section, we summarise the many thousands of online buyer reviews.
We found the best way to do that is to summarise those findings in a pros and cons table.
- 77% of all buyers gave this a 5 star review
- Buyers really liked the reliable Salter brand
- Buyers really liked the fact that if you set a bowl on these before turning them on, the weight is shown as 0 grams - It doesn't count the weight of the bowl, and then you can add ingredients and weight just those
- Buyers say these last for years and remain accurate.
- 5% of all buyers gave this a bad review
- Some buyers say the battery does not last long
- A few buyers had display problems and had to get their scales replaced
Salter Digital Scales Specification Details
- Measure 19.5 x 4.5 x 21.5 cm
- Max weight that can be weighed is 5 Kg
- Come in a black and chrome finish
- As they are compact they are easy to store
- Can be used to measure multiple ingredients (including liquids) in one bowl/pan
- Made from stainless steel
- Very easy to use
- Very accurate
- Has an easy to read LCD display that's clear and easy to read
- Measuring capability as follows 5 kg in 1 g, 11 lbs in 1/10 oz, 5 litre in 1 ml and 175 fl oz in 1/10 fl oz increments
- Can switch between imperial and metric measurements
3 Key Features of These Salter Scales
The Zero Button
The whole purpose of this button is mainly to allow you to add ingredients from zero showing on the scales. You can set for example a bowl on the scales and then hit the zero button. Then you can weight out your flour and hit zero again. You can then weight out the next ingredient and so on.
Kitchen scales are useless if they are not accurate. These are precision scales with high sensors. People have been buying these Salter scales for years, and they state very clearly that these are built to last, and maintain a high degree of accuracy.
Easy To Use
Most kitchen scales are easy enough to use, but some of them can get too clever and add too many features. That just makes them hard to use. Salter have got this right in that these scales have the right features and simple reset buttons.
It is also easy to change between metric and imperial measurements.
Our Verdict on the Salter Digital Scales
These have an RRP of £19.99 but you can almost always find these cheaper online. If you are dithering between this set of scales and another set, then pick these.
The reason we state that is that these have been tried and tested and bought by thousands of buyers.
They are accurate, reliable, easy to use and last for ages.
However, if these are not the scales for you, then why not check out our top 5 list of kitchen scales by clicking here.
These Salter scales though are affordable, work like a charm, and so many thousands of buyers can't be wrong.